Back to Smartcitizen.me

Can I turn off the WiFi for fast Serial data upload?

Hi guys,
I’m trying to use the SCK for something a bit different, a demonstration for schoolchildren with graphs and indicators updating in real time on a laptop.
What I would like to do is to get the data from the SCK through the serial connection very quickly, let’s say every 0.5-1 seconds.
As a first test, I tried reducing the TimeUpdate to 10 (seconds, I suppose) via the SET TIME UPDATE command, but still it takes roughly a minute to do the whole sequence:

SCK Waking up…
SCK Connected!!
updates = 1
Posted to Server!
Old connection active. Closing…
SCK Sleeping

Temperature: 26048 C RAW
[…]
UTC: 2014-10-22 19:15:08

What I would like to do is to skip the sleep-wake up cycle, and the server connection, and just get the serial data as fast as possible.
Can someone give me any pointers as how to modify the code to do that?
Is there a serial-only debug mode?
Which flag does enable-disable sleeping?
Which flag does enable-disable wifi communication?

Thanks!

Hi @DIY_Aeronomer, An option for this would be to use the sck_beta_v0_8_6_SDCARD firmware that you can find here: https://github.com/fablabbcn/Smart-Citizen-Kit Best.

I’ll try it, thanks @aitoraloa!

Hi, @DIY_Aeronomer, did you finally find a way to read serial data in almost Real Time without the need of Wifi?
If you can point out main steps to do that would be awesome, cause I cannot find any proper documentation without the wifi and the cloud platform.
Note: I would prefer not to store data into a SD card, just download data locally into a computer via serial and use processing or so to visualize it.

Thanks a lot!! :slight_smile: