Back to Smartcitizen.me

EPA's Next Generation Air Monitoring Workshop Series

Hi, I registered for this workshop and thought I’d share. You can register online and for free.

EPA’s Next Generation Air Monitoring Workshop Series
Air Sensors 2014:
A New Frontier
Monitoring Technology for Today’s World

June 9 & 10, 2014
EPA’s Research Triangle Park Campus
109 T.W. Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27711

Join us for EPA’s fourth workshop to address the opportunities and challenges
associated with the next generation of air quality monitoring technology and data.

Background

Recent advances in low-cost sensor technologies for air quality and biological measures are inspiring environmental scientists and the general public to experiment with these devices. Potential uses for new air sensor technologies include measuring local air quality for personal and community environmental health concerns and science education, locating costly leaks at industrial facilities, participating in citizen science, conducting research, and supplementing air quality measurements for regulatory compliance. Initial technical evaluations of these new devices are promising for a variety of needs. Rapid developments coupled with keen interest in the new technologies and accessible data have the potential to soundly transform future environmental monitoring.
Objectives

Inspire developers to create new and higher performing air sensors.
Present exciting new directions in and uses of sensor technology from around the world.
Enhance collaboration among community groups, sensor developers, state, local, tribal and federal officials, researchers, private industry and non-profit organizations.
Clearly define the state-of-the-science concerning performance characteristics of low-cost sensors.
Discuss approaches for solving critical issues relating to data collection, data storage, and data sharing parameters needed to advance sensor data sharing opportunities.
Develop approaches to integrate low-cost sensor use in citizen science air quality projects with communities and researchers.
Share information about public and non-profit activities and opportunities.