Back to Smartcitizen.me

Cannot upload

I am facing the following problem: every time I try to upload the sck_beta_v0_8_6_SDCARD.ino although initially the (usb) port I am using is available to the Arduino 1.0.5.-r2 environment, when the actual uploading (after compiling) to the LilyPad Arduino USB board happens, the port vanishes (I can also hear the characteristic win 7 sound of a usb being unplugged) and I get the error title “Couldn’t find a Leonardo on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the boards’s reset button after initiating the upload” and details

Binary sketch size: 28,224 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum)
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Couldn’t find a Leonardo on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board’s reset button after initiating the upload.
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:153)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

The suggestion “If it is correct, try pressing the boards’s reset button after initiating the upload” does not work either (isn’t clear what to exactly do but I did try to press the reset after pressing the upload on the Arduino 1.0.5.-r2 environment with the exact aforementioned results)

I assume the port (being lost) is the correct one as I use the same on http://www.smartcitizen.me/devices/configure in order to set it up.

If I choose the standard COM1 I get the error “avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn’t a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?” error.

The cable’s length is ~10cm long and I have already used 3 othe cables with lengths up to 80cm

Any ideas?

Hi @jonjon,

I am really sorry to hear that you are facing problems updating the sck_beta_v0_8_6_SDCARD.ino sketch.

We have recently discovered that if you upload the firmware to the board using the AVR ISP programmer, you can not upload the firmware via USB after. It is quite surprising because you can configure your board with the Smart Uploader instead.

This is, you can configure your board using the Smart Uploader on the web platform but when it comes to upload new firmware (or new firmware settings) using Arduino’s IDE it will always give you this annoying red message and the subsequent console text. And yes! the port vanishes and you have to turn off/on you board to see it appear again.

When I started configuring this batch of SCKs we used an Atmel AVR ISP programmer to burn the uploader and also to upload the firmware. Luckily, after few boards programmed using the AVR ISP we realized of this issue. Unfortunately, some of this few boards were shipped on the run and it seems like you have one of them.

All this uploading issues can be fixed burning the bootloader again and uploading the firmware ALWAYS via USB. I am afraid the reset button does not help in this case. :frowning:

Burning the bootloader is a quite simple operation but you need a ISP programer as the Atmel AVR ISP Mk2 (http://www.atmel.com/tools/avrispmkii.aspx). Or you can also use another Arduino as an ISP programmer (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP).

Bootloader corruption problems is one of the most common issues we are facing so we are already working on a tutorial (among many others) on How to use and Arduino as ISP programmer with your SCK. We hope to have it ready ASAP.

As this is entirely my fault, I will take good care of providing you all the necessary documentation and assistance.

My most sincere apologies for any inconveniences this may cause.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

So, not being an expert on arduino, I realise that both proposed methodologies to solve the issue require … hardware :frowning:

If that is true, and being that I have no (known) access to another arduino or any other ISP programmer, what’s our options?

Hi @jonjon! Finding an Arduino and half a dozen of Male/Female jumper wires should not be a big issue. If you have a FabLab, Makerspace or Hackerspace near by you could find one there. Even an AVR ISP Mk2 programmer should be findable there. Where are you based!? Best. :slight_smile:

Dear @aitoraloa,

We’re based in Corfu, Greece and currently “setting shop” so thus the lack of access to hardware.

Nevertheless, as we’ve got some common contacts and we’re in the middle of a couple of EU projects to allocate own resources, we’ll be shipping the unit back to you for a home-made fix :slight_smile:

Thanks for the support.

@jonjon: feel free to send your unit back. We will take good care of it and send it back to you. Thank you for support this project and good luck with the shop. All the best.