Back to Smartcitizen.me

SCK with mobile phone network instead of wifi?

I always wondered if (or why not) the citizen kit can be revamped to use mobile phone network as internet connection.

Tiny low cost low power GPRS modules are widely available, connection costs are very low inbetween.
Are there projects already doing such?
Is there a way to revamp SCK 1.1 or 2.0 to have mobile connectivity?
Regards, Stefan

Or perhaps LoRaWAN / TTN capable version? :thinking:

Hi!

We built a LoRaWAN / TTN capable prototype some month ago. We hope we’ll have time to work on a final version on the next few months.

Currently we are busy with the SCK 2.1 and the SCK stations calibration and validation

Very interested in this product. Please keep us updated.

Sure! We’ll publish any updates here!

For the moment for anyone looking to deploy the Kit on remote area without a Wi-Fi connection, we recommend the SD card mode. We also suggest purchasing a 3G Wi-Fi AP.

MicroTik offers outdoor 3G enabled Wi-Fi access points for less than 100€. Also, a SIM card with a minimal monthly data plan (< 200 MB) can be found for less than 3€. They are a good option particularly if we are planning to deploy a few Kits on an area, i.e. monitoring a construction site

Can someone tell me what the data volumes are for each server update/publish

This would be useful to understand the type of communication method that would be possible to connect the SCK and the cost of the transmissions.

Each standard SCK 2.1 will publish less than 20 MB of data a month. So for ten devices, a 200MB monthly plan will work!

I am as interested in the volume per publication, due to capability of networks I may use. So to confirm

20MB/days in month/hours in day/minutes in hour
20000000 / 28 / 24/60 = 496 bytes per minute (i.e. per server update)

Is that correct?

Many thanks

Andy

Yes, for an approximation this works. It is around 400 bytes per publication. The default update time is 1min. There’s also a special daily publication of about 400 bytes with a hardware report. That publication is also published every time it restarts.

Hope it helps!

1 Like

Hi pral2a,

we are in the process of researching the possibility of lorawan on the SCK2.1. Starting january 2020, we want to be able to sent the sensor data (from both the urban and gas board) to a lorawan server, albeit TTN.

How far have you reached in finding a way to circumvent the wifi transmission on the ESP8266, and to replace it with the Pycom lorawan board, as seen in your draft?

At this moment, the 4G with Mikrotik is not an option as we really want to use the LPWAN technology. Afterall, the payload data sent is not that high volume and neither frequent I guess, if the rate of transmission can be adjusted in the firmware (lora duty cycle to take into account).

We much appreciate any info.

Hi @debbaut.wim

How many devices are you planning to use with TTN? We are trying to engage with projects to work on a LoRAWAN version together.

In the picture above we run a custom firmware on the device that sends all the sensor payload to an Arduino MKR WAN 1300 that relies the data to TTN using their simple Arduino Library. We did that as a quick test with our colleagues at TTN Barcelona

I’m interested in this - is there any progress?