Back to Smartcitizen.me

Is it possible to buy sensor boards separately?

Hi everyone,

The question is as above: Can I buy sensor boards somewhere without the whole kit?

Greetings,
Bron

1 Like

Hi @bron

It’s not clear whether you are referring to the urban sensor board or other unnamed sensor boards.

The urban sensor boards can be obtained from Seeed Studios but only as part of a bare bones kit for $USD 99 that includes the data MCU board and dust sensor. Seeed have stock as of today; but it varies.

I believe that is also a second source supplier that is based in Euro zone. It comes up on Google.

I wish you the best of luck,

Cheers
@bryn.parrott

Naturally I mean The Urban Sensor Board.
Yes, thank you, I am aware of the offer at Seeed. I have failing urban boards thus I don’t need the whole thing. We’ll get those 99$ if no other option is available.

Hi Bron,

Not at the moment, but this is not a bad idea at all and we’ll discuss it internally and see it’s viability with the manufacturer.

Thanks

@oscgonfer I have shared some if my experience with @bron hoping to help,

But it’s looking like he may need a special order of urban boards; or urban + data (excluding the dust sensor)

I have suggested a pathway he might assess the overall needs, before reaching out to you and/or @victor

BTW it’s looking like seeed might be starting to run short of SCK units again. I have now checked with Digi-key and Mouser and found they have no stock either.
Thus, only Seeed themselves have stock of the bare bones kit at the moment.

1 Like

Not a bad idea, indeed. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile ordered 3 sets of 99$ for replacements.

@oscgonfer How’s the progress on making sensor boards available separately? I need them again…

Hi @bron,

We are in the process of negotiating this with SEEED. Right now, things are very slow because there are plenty of issues with supply chain and many of the sensors in the current version are going to be discontinued soon… So re-stocking units in SEEED is still under discussion, and there will be design changes. Our intention is to keep design backward compatible, maybe with different options for urban boards, and, if we succeed, to have them sold separately.

This doesn’t solve your issue now, so the only thing I can say is to write to support@smartcitizen.me and we can discuss supplying some stock we currently have at Barcelona.

2 Likes

Along the same lines @oscgonfer I need a replacement DATA board for my system. I am using my old data board purchased early 2019 but it has a very weak Grove connector that was originally broken and resoldered by myself. The 4 pin connections are soldered ok but it’s the two grove securing pins on the sides that are physically broken.

But it’s not strong enough to trust in the installation position of an SCS V3; because this places the connector under potential stress with the grove connector and wiring “squashed” on the top; could be broken when the board is installed.

So the question comes if it’s possible to purchase the board from Seeed or fablabs ? (Seeed have never sold them separately but I thought I might get a “bare bones “ kit (with just the two boards); but now it looks like there’s a possibility this might not be possible.

I have in hand a Samd51 Metro board (samd51) also that might fit the space. I was intending to experiment with it after the SCSV3 system is finally operational. It would be fun to see if the firmware would survive a build using the samd51 processor as target …

But I cannot see much chance of having it interface easily to the data board; lacking that 16 pin connector and a suitable shield board to put it on. I am looking for one that has a bread board. There used to be a few around but they seem to have gone off-market.