Back to Smartcitizen.me

Onboarding BME680 Sensor

Hi,
I happen to have a Seeed Grove BME680 lying around, and looking through the (Arduino) code for SAM Firmware, I find there is code pointing to Adafruit BME680 library (although that library not included in SCK build).
Its unclear what I am looking at here. The Adafruit board has pinout for I2C interface but no grove connector, whereas the Seeed Studios version has the grove connector. It would be necessary to warm up the soldering iron to use Adafruit board. Not sure what other qualitative differences there might be, but the obvious question is can the Seeed Studios BME680 board version be supported ?

Secondly I see that the Adafruit library contains some of the Bosch BSEC library for BME680 but not all of it. The current version of BSEC library has some proprietary precompiled archive code, and for it to work, there has to be a version prebuilt for the processor at hand. Also, the Arduino CC has difficulty building the code containing references to BSEC library (and) I found it was necessary to go back to version 1.8.9 and make some changes to the arduino platform code for specific MCU to have it compile properly.

Thirdly I ask myself why you bothered to include support for BME680 at all, given you already have a perfectly good equivalent Gas/Environment sensor already integrated into SCK kit. Is it intended to run the two sensors along side each other (for comparison maybe).
What happens when you run both at the same time? Does the code average out the readings ?
My own observations indicate readings from the inbuilt sensor and the BME680 are roughly equivalent in any case.

1 Like

Replying to myself some time later…
It would be useful to look at adding BME680 to a SC system because recent information indicates it may give more reliable response than the inbuilt CCS811.
Certainly useful to look at the results alongside each other.
Since I already have the BME680 device gathering dust (from my own Arduino based original environment sensor) this is a no cost option….

And I have now confirmed that SAMD21 is indeed supported. Next challenge : check if it works including build firmware process.

This is not the top priority unless I get a hit on my request for a ENS160 Evaluation breakout board.

@oscgonfer ?

Hi @bryn.parrott ,

The BME680 is implemented as an I2C device in a breakout board like the one from SEEED, adafruit or sparkfun.

Tests were conducted to pick from either option, either the CCS811 or BME680, but we ended up with the CCS811 because we had already a robust T, H, P sensor setup with the Sensirion SHT31 and the NXP MPL3115A26. The BME680 is good, but we did not have control over temperature compensation, baseline or other things at the time, so we went for something we felt a bit less of a blackbox for us.

I think it should directly work by connecting it to the auxiliary port. If I get a hold of one here I’ll check.

Thanks,

Óscar

Hi Gian

Your message got flagged for some reason unclear. It looks like a poor translation. Many of the words appear inappropriate. It is difficult to understand what you said.

BME680 is not currently supported by SCK.
CCS811 is supported, and it has temperature compensation included in system firmware.
The frequency of readings in SCK can be changed using console commands (connect the device by USB to your computer and operate a serial port program)
Please read the documentation.

1 Like

Seems we have a funny AI spammer in the forum.

Just a comment, the BME680 should be working in the auxiliary bus. The breakout boards BME680 is implemented here:

And the CCS811 in the urban: