Back to Smartcitizen.me

Smart Citizen Station

Hey,

First of all, thanks for the good work, I am using the new smart citizen kit and it seems to work like a charm and I just printed the diy enclosure and It fitted well.

I am quite interested by the most robut version of the project, namely the station: https://docs.smartcitizen.me/Smart%20Citizen%20Station/ . Is there any timeline for a seeed production? Or is it going to stay more diy/open source as it is? If so how would you recommend to have it made (I live in Belgium)?

Thanks a lot!

Hey @guillaume.slizewicz

We are finishing their testing on the iSCAPE project. We will share the results in our docs. Do you have any ideas of how many units you would need in the mid term?

Cheers

I think two would be a good start.

Hello,
have you any news about release date of smart citizen station? Especialy i am interested in Gas Pro board. I living in small town in central region of Czech republic and i have perfect usage for two or tre stations.

1 Like

Hi @levy.ondrej

Thanks for your interest!

Not yet, however, we don’t expect to sell it as a product on a short time, and more as full service as data postprocessing still requires our work.

However, we are looking for engaged customers with some technical expertise as this will be the best users for the initial release phase.

We’ll keep you posted!

The latest Smart Citizen Station

Hi @pral2a
thank you for your response. If there is a chance to get involved in the initial phase, I will be happy to help.
The reason why i asking about smart citizen station is that i living in small city where we have several potencial sources of air polution. I would like to more engage local citizens to care abou enviroment. Best way, from my IT point of view, is to provide more data and better insight about air quality situation in our city.

Hi! Is there any news regarding the station? I am interested in acquiring one for prototype and research purposes.

Thanks,

Vasco

Hi!

The station has been drastically changed. You can see the latest status here: https://docs.smartcitizen.me/Smart%20Citizen%20Station/

Due to it’s complexity, we don’t openly sell it as the SCK without having some previous conversation. If you are interested, we can talk at info@smartcitizen.me

Thanks!

@oscgonfer @pral2a

There I was, researching the building of a Smart Citizen Station (SCS), based on latest documentation, and I have started opening communication to Seeedstudio Fusion to see if I can get them to make some of the parts.
I came across their wiki, and was surprised to see they have released, in August 2020 a Full Weather station based on LoRaWan. There are various versions described here:
https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/SenseCAP-One-Series-Meteorological-Sensors/

I searched for, but did not find any further information about the device(s) but specification looks a lot like Smart Citizen Station with differences in the communication. I was unable to find them for sale in the Bazaar section of Seeedstudio. If its a commercial product, perhaps the inner workings are not transparent, unlike SCS.

I am just wondering if there is somehow a link between this product and SmartCitizen Station. a leakage of IP perhaps (but SCS is open source anyway, right ?). Or is this the reason why SCS is not available on Seeed Studio ?

Anyway, now I’m in a conundrum, need to decide whether to build my own SCS or just buy this thing already built. It’s a shortcut toward meeting my goal of monitoring my environment.

Your comments or further information you might like to share would help my decision making.

Hey Bryn,

W received the mail through info. We can keep the conversation there. Just for reference or in case anyone else is interested, the Smart Citizen Station is available for sale, but not as the SCK, and more as an experimental unit. If you want to build one, bear in mind that the complexity is higher than the kit, and we normally rather help with the process, or at least fill the gaps in the documentation.

I searched for, but did not find any further information about the device(s) but specification looks a lot like Smart Citizen Station with differences in the communication. I was unable to find them for sale in the Bazaar section of Seeedstudio. If its a commercial product, perhaps the inner workings are not transparent, unlike SCS.

I am just wondering if there is somehow a link between this product and SmartCitizen Station. a leakage of IP perhaps (but SCS is open source anyway, right ?). Or is this the reason why SCS is not available on Seeed Studio ?

We don’t know much about this product-line from SEEED. We assume is something new they are pushing forward. As everything we do is open, not really possible to have a leakage of IP. The SCS is not available in SEEED for various reasons: it’s still an experimental unit, it needs more care than a mass production device, it’s something we still iterate, and there are many configuration options that are not in the SEEED page, and we normally try to understand what the actual end-user of the station needs are.

Anyway, now I’m in a conundrum, need to decide whether to build my own SCS or just buy this thing already built. It’s a shortcut toward meeting my goal of monitoring my environment.
Your comments or further information you might like to share would help my decision making.

This is entirely up to you. We can help on the SCS part with more information, or even an unit in case you are in a rush. We are trying to document the Station little by little to be able to make it in a Fablab, so this might as well be an option.

Regards,

I’ve had some discussions with Seeed. At this stage they are releasing only the mid range weather stations, that do not have Gas Sensors (for example).
The intended market is agricultural, they have a client that has a poultry farm needing it.
So, I dont think this is going to meet my needs.