Back to Smartcitizen.me

Unable to connect to board

I’m a Kickstarter backer; I got the SmartCitizen a few weeks ago. I’ve tried connecting to it with multiple computers and multiple OSes, and none of them are able to connect to the board. The board gets power, but no port shows up via Firefox or via the Arduino GUI. I can connect to other Arduinos, so I don’t think it’s a driver issue. Is there a way to get the board replaced, or something else I can do?

Hi kdmckenzie,

I hope you are having a good day.

It seems you may have uploaded the firmware selecting “Arduino Leonardo” board in Tools -> Board. For these new kits (v1.1) the Arduino compatible firmware is “LilyPad Arduino USB”. This is because VCC voltage is now 3.3V, and not 5V (as with Arduino Leonardo boards).

When you upload a Leonardo firmware into a LilyPad bootloader, it will be corrupted and the only way to restore it is to re-program it again using an external programmer like an AVRISP mkII: http://www.atmel.com/tools/avrispmkii.aspx

If you do not have one available you can also use an Arduino as ISP. For more info on how to do this: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

And sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

All the best,
Aitor.

“When you upload a Leonardo firmware into a LilyPad bootloader, it will be corrupted and the only way to restore it is to re-program it again using an external programmer like an AVRISP mkII:”

Reprogram it again with what? I have an AVRISP mkii… I just need to know what to send to the micro…

Hi @Mike6158, You have to burn the bootloader with Arduino LilyPad USB selected in Tools -> boards. Then you just have to connect a miniUSB cable to your SCK and do the compilation as usual. I hope this quick note helps. If you need anything else, please, do not hesitate to let me know. Best.

Hi everyone, I need help… My board is not turning on the USB connection. I’m wanting to burn the USB Lilypad bootloader to solve this, but I cannot identify the digital ports 10 to 13. Does anyone have the scheme of the above ports? I’ve tried burning via ICSP and did not work.

Best regards,
Giovanni

Hi @cgnc,
Do you have a SCK 1.0 (Goteo) or 1.1 (Kickstarter)? I ask because the 1.0 uses the Lilypad, but 1.1 uses Leonardo.
-Matt

SCK v1.0 is Leonardo
SCK v1.1 is Lylipad USB

Nice catch @mdeheras, sorry for the backwards response.

I’m using Kickstarter. I did it based on support message:

1 … reset … D10
2 … clock … D13
3 … MISO … D12
4 … GND … GND
5 … MOSI … D11
6 … + … + (3.3V?)

Thanks