Back to Smartcitizen.me

Viadukaduk highway refit and long vision monitoring project

Hi guys and girls,

I am happy to announce that our monitoring project based on SCK 2.1 in Ghent, Belgium is up and running. We have 5 sensors of 13 online. The rest follows hopefully in the next two weekends.

Our own 3d printed (own design, prints in PETG ordered externally) enclosure has been now in the weather for 1,5 months without a flaw. I hope somebody here will help me to put it on the repo. See the first pics below.

Would it be possible to have our own tag #viadukaduk on the map?

Greetings,
Bron

2 Likes

Fantastic project and community!

Once you have time, we would encourage you to release the enclosure design files and documentation! We can help you with it and you’ll always be credited as the original author.

We already created the #viadukaduk tag!

Keep up posting such good work!

1 Like

Would you mind if we tweet some of your pictures on the main @smartcitizenkit twitter to spread the word about your project

I have just about ordered standard 3D printed outdoor enclosure, seems OK design to me.
Please can you elaborate your requirements to design your own eg. what advantages. (?) or disadvantages of the existing designs.

Hey,

@bryn.parrott
We have looked into the following aspects:
High accuracy temperature measurements. Having layered white enclosure allows to keep radiation heat away from our sensor.
Open yet waterproof concept. This protects the device from dorplets of water at the same time preventing condensation in the device and allowing for good ventillation. Moreover the design is modular so you could just print more layers of the middle element and place additional sensors within the enclosure.
Avoiding creating a resonator had impact on the direction.
Secure installation for a 2-3 year project was also our concern.

@pral2a Sure i’ll post some tweets with pics and @smartcitizenkit.

Greetings,
Bron

1 Like

Really nice project,

Greetings from Brussels!

Hey, I just read your message once again. Yes, you’re welcome to use the pics in tweets. You can mention us @viadukaduk.

Hey @bron,

I was wondering if you would mind contributing the enclosure files to the github repo? We would like to test it out here.
Drop us an email to support@smartcitizen.me if you need some help

Thanks!

Yes. I’ve been wanting to do this for some time. But this GitHub thing is a bit of a mystery for me.

As for the enclosures they are a success so far. They’ve been in the weather since april and withstood all sorts of conditions including storms and -10°. Some small amount of dust accumulates in the enclosure over time.

Moreover the design seems to prevent any overheating from the sun. The sensors are hanging in all orientations towards the north and all the readings of temperature seem consistent.

For UV durability we printed the outside enclosure in white PETG and installed them like this without further adjustments. Internal parts (standard frame and clip) have been printed in ABS. We used commercial services of 3Dhubs for this.

Inside of the enclosure there is a synthetic mesh. With small holes. It is glued with hot glue pistol to the bottom part of the enclosure. We ordered those laser cut to size in a company in Haarlem, Netherlands. The dimensions of the nets are 335x58mm. The enclosure is modular. So you can add the “middle” element multiple times. This would influence the width of the meshes, however. The mesh fits in groves provided in the enclosure. The mesh company is http://www.topzeven.com/

1 Like

Hey @bron,

It’s really amazing what you have been doing. For the enclosure I suggest these steps:

1. Create an user in Github
  2. You can then fork the smartcitizen-enclosures repo

1. Upload your files to the repo, I suggest you put them in SmartCitizen Outdoor Cases V2.0-2.1/ in a new subfolder with a name you like, and in it you add:
  • a folder named components that includes the 3D designs name
  • instructions on how to replicated in a README.md file, you can take inspiration on the other README.mds of the repo, links to suppliers (if any, etc)

Here a capture to include the files (in the repository you forked)

1. You can then make a Pull request in our repo and we will add it to the global enclosures repo

Thanks!

1 Like

VoilĂ ! Pull request submitted!

1 Like

Beautiful! Just merged it! Thank you so much!

I took the liberty to modify the README.md just to include some pictures, hope you like it! If not, feel free to modify it. :slight_smile:

Thank you again