Back to Smartcitizen.me

Wifi credentials

I am having trouble setting the wifi credentials. I need to use
PEAP for the EAP method and MSCHAPV2 for phase 2 authentication. How can I do this with the smart citizen?

Hi @gwu_airlab, At the moment we are limited to WPA, WPA2, WEP and OPEN networks. We do not support WPA Enterprise networks. This is currently out of our scope because we are tied to the limited capabilities of our Microchip - WiFly RN-XV module. Hopefully at some point they will launch a firmware upgrade with support for WPA Enterprise with PEAP. Please, accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience this might cause. Best.

Hi there,

I have checked that “currently, it also does not WPA/WPA2 Enterprise networks such as EDUROAM. However, they will be supported in the future after a firmware updated.” When do you estimate that this is going to be available? The only way that I can have WiFi connection in my place (a hospital) is via a WPA/WPA Enterprise network. Is it going to be solved soon? Otherwise I was thinking if there is a way to use an antenna that supports this kind of network.

Thanks a lot!

It’s unfortunate that the enterprise wifi is not supported by the chipset. Here is my small suggestion. Share the 4G connection on your mobile phone and connect up the SCK to your phone’s WiFi.
Granted this is not a wonderful way to do it, but it’s a work-around, and it should work. At least it will work for demonstration purposes.

Medium term perhaps this location where you are trying to use it needs to be reviewed. (Because) Firmware updates for the chipset mentioned above does not, to me, sound like it’s something that is going to happen quickly nor is it going to be easy to obtain and install.

I can add further to my previous response.
I am building a SCS system; and it will be located remotely far from any WiFi.
My approach has been to purchase a commercial (‘D-Link’) Wifi to 4G router device. It can connect to the SCK 5V power supply and consumes up to 5V 1A, so you will need to keep an eye on overall power consumption.

The 4G Mobile service is ubiquitous, might even work inside a hospital although I know some hospitals want you to turn off mobile phones. This gets around the problem you have, allowing you to proceed.