Back to Smartcitizen.me

WiFly module problems: (some) connectivity issues

I checked those repositories before your mail, but they all have a date of 2 months ago??
are the new updates in there?

thanks @mdeheras, soon we will have it as the current release

Tomas

uploaded via arduinokit was working, after that the upload via the site also worked?
i see data of the sensors logged, but still no wifi
The above link to the 0.8.6 version is not able to upload via arduino ide, code is not good (serial1. Error)
I give up :frowning:

1. Perform a firmware update for the WiFly module ASAP.

how do I perform the WiFly firmware update? In the Sensor configuration page I can configure the WiFi settings, but I do not see the “WiFly firmware update” part.

@cdelrosso

the wifly update is done when you update to 0.86 if you use the sandbox.
I’m not sure if the update is allready in 0.85, but to my understanding there is no need to seperatly update the wifly firmware.

the sandbox is found when you login and then configure your board through the smartcitizen website interface.

@bwired

do you get any output when you try updating via the sandbox?
I did have some reset problems as well, but did you try turning it off/on?
for me these connections issues are a real mystery so I even unplugged and plugged to try and eventually it worked, although I needed to be patient.

when I tried compiling the 0.8.6 version I did not have any trouble, could you post the complete error?

Jesse

Hi Jesse
I see all the output coming in comlog screen from arduino ide, so thats good. but wifi is 0. tried everything also via webpage of the smartcitizen, but does not work.
I will mail the error for version 0.8.6 later, someting with serialport1
thanks very!
Pieter

Hee Pieter,

when I check my output with version 0.86 more often then not I have this as outcome:

Wifi Spots: 0

But I notice that my outcomes are posted though. So I think this is mistake in the version.

Every so often I do have a more reasonable outcome, but still I think this is very bugged.

Did you manage to select a desired hotspot?

Groet :wink: Jesse

Serial1 error is because you have selected Arduino UNO board, that you have to select Lylipad Arduino USB.

http://smartcitizen.me/posts/view/6

All worked, able to update to new beta firmware, but not able to update also no connection to my router possible, see other topis who have the same problem.
The wifi problem is still there, i think the concept has a huge problem, trying for 4 weeks now

I am really disappointed. Would love to have refund, or new board. I did what tomasdiez said, and emailed them with the post URL, for a replacement, but no one has replied to my emails. This is getting ridiculous at this point. This product is not ready for launch, and is a very expensive beta product to make people pay for.

@bwired and @wakeforest give me time to review all the comments. I will get back to you as soon as I read all the updates. We are already making a list of “bricked” WiFly modules but we need to be sure that your WiFly is really corrupted. We also need to talk about the protocol we are going to follow to make you happy. All the best guys! And we hope this makes you feel better. We really want to help you all as you helped us! :wink:

@aitoraloa , no that really does not make me feel better. You sold us a product that does not work, instead of making it right, there seems to be this lingering doom of being ripped off. For that $200 I spent with you guys, to invest in "the little guy who wants to do great things’, I could have put it in a finished commercial product… It’s been almost 2 months since I purchased, 2 months with a bad product, 2 months that my project has been held up due to bad firmware and/or hardware. This should not inspire confidence in anyone on the fence, reading this thread right now either. You guys respond to negative cristism on the website here, but totally ignore emails. One way or another I am not going quietly into the night on this, I want a functional product, or the money I paid to you in ernest, back into my community project.

Hi @wakeforest, can you please resend the email that has been not responded? sometimes we get the double request in the forum and by email and we prioritise the forum since it helps more people. As for the kit, we said that we had issues with the manufacturing process of this batch, it is not a matter of the quality of the product designed, as well as the problems with the connectivity had to do with a firmware outdate from Microchip which we are solving and will allow us to replace those boards. Can you please send us an email to info@smartcitizen.me with your address? We are replacing now around 5 kits from people facing some of the same problems as you. And as said before: this is not a product, not a blackbox you plug and works without knowing why, this is an ongoing project, which we manage to make possible with the support from people like you, and which will keep evolving and improving. We will respond to all the mistakes we might make. Thanks

Hi,

I had a functioning kit (#823) about 18 days ago and then something changed while I was on my holiday. When I came back the kit wasn’t updating data to the net and two blue lights were flashing. During my holiday the kit was connected both to a solar panel and USB power.

After following advices given here and updating my kit several times I’m still having connectivity issues.

When trying to set the kit up with a Windows 7 the wireless passwords change to number 4 or 0. Setting up with a Mac is succesfull at least looking from the UI but results in a kit where I have two blue LEDs alternating and no connection.

At those times I’m able to join the kit’s own WLAN (SID: SCK_8a) and with it’s UI I’m able to scan and find the local wireless networks.

A couple of questions:

1. What does the button next to the reset button do?
  2. Any advice on how to get a connection?
  3. I couldn’t find info on what the different LEDs indicate. Can you give more info on that?
  4. Is there a way to reset the device to really start over as the kit used to work and maybe that way I could get it working again?
  5. Is there a way to revert the firmware to an older version?

Cheers,
Ari

I Will wait a while, but i think the wifi is defect due to solarpanel or else
please keep us informed thats the most important thing for me
hoping for good news
Pieter
www.bwired.nl

@tomasdiez and @aitoraloa I’ve the same issues as @artsa and other users (please look at all my other posts reporting different try to solve the issue).
I would like to have my SCK repaired: how do I have to proceed?
Please let me know because I really want to participate at this great project but without a working SCK it is very difficult :slight_smile:

Hi Stefano, Could you please send an email with your details (name, address,…) to support@smartcitizen.me We will add you to the “bricked” WiFly modules database for further details. Thank you for your interest! :slight_smile:

@smartcitizen employees… I dont understand why you are all putting smiley faces after your posts… I’ve been down 2+ months on the board I ordered… $200 down the drain. This isn’t a great product, or support. Great support resolves issues, or replaces boards… or refunds the defective product. If this company has any operations in the U.S. I plan on following up with the BBB immediately.

Hi @wakeforest, Smart Citizen is not a great product, you are absolutely right. We do not have a support department, your are right as well. We do not want to setup a company to make profit of “products”, and that then will be sold to a bigger one either. We are building a platform, together with our users and in an open source philosophy, a lot to debug and improve, which we will be doing in the next months. I personally do not understand your reaction while we already said that we will replace your board and the other broken ones because an issue that has to do with Microchip and not us.

Tomas