Back to Smartcitizen.me

Well it worked for about 24 hours

Nothing works. Still get the message “Error in connectionn!!”.

I’ve tried that and I still have the same problem unfortunately.

I tried connecting to the board’s own wifi AP, and that gives me access to the WiFly configuration, so it doesn’t look like the WiFly board is dead. Also, if I type ‘scan’ on the serial connection then it lists out the wifi networks around.

I tried uploading the 0.8.4 firmware to see if that did anything different, but I still get the ‘Error in connectionn!!’.

If I upload any other Arduino example code, the lights flash in the same way (alternating between LED 3 and 4 continuously). I don’t think it did this when I first got the SCK with the code pre-installed.

Unless there are some other things to try, perhaps a replacement board is the way to go, and I can send this one back to you guys to debug further?

Hi guys,

I have here at the lab a SCK that seems to have the same problem you have. We can not replicate this error so this is going to be really helpful. I will try to check what is going on as soon as possible.

Anyway, we have chatting about it and the “Error in connection!!” message appears when the stored data is bigger than the number of updates before posting. This message appears when there is not connection to the internet. The Wi-fly might be failing for two reasons:

1. The Wi-fly is corrupted. You can fix this typing $$$ command in the Arduino IDE’s serial monitor window. Then type the command “factory RESET” and “save” (both without quotation marks). To finish push the reset button (at the left of the USB).

2. Power supply problem. It happens sometimes and we are trying to fix it. Meanwhile, a solution could be to disconnect all power sources, battery, USB and solar panel.

If would be nice if you can send us more info: how are the boards connected, updating times, firmware version,…

We will work to give you more answers ASAP. :slight_smile:

All the best.

I modified the firmware v0.8.5 to reset the wifi module on failure and acquired a new firmware to reset the wifi hardware module (Wifly_Rescue.ino) , the latter only works on sck board v1.1.

Thanks guys. I’ve tried the wi-fly reset and removing all power before turning it back on, but neither fixes the issue. I’ve also tried uploading that new firmware, and tried the Wifly_Rescue.ino, but they don’t seem to fix the issue either.

I tried on another wifi network, in case it was an issue with DHCP leases or something, but same problem.

Same here. After the upload I get this:

<WEB_APP-1.06> exit
Disabling AP mode
Reboot WiFly WebConfig v1.06 Apr 19 2013 11:48:44 on RN-131
Mac Addr=*********
READY
AP mode as SCK_** on chan 1
DCHP Server Init
PIN9=0

The board doesn’t store the Wifi config. It always reset to SSID roving1.

Wifly_Rescue.ino always reset to factory defaults. To make it work you have to put the firmware back to 0.8.5. The data written to the serial are only indicative, it is a firmware that I need to improve.

I’ve tried that and I get the same error “Error in connectionn”.

why is this not reported on teh site!!
today i installed my kit and worked fine UNTIL i connected the solarpanel (kickstarter package) :frowning:
now its nothing anymore, tried all above

tried a lot but no uploads anymore error connection
please help us!!

I ran into the same issue. I bought the full kit from acrobatic (board, solar, enclosure).
After finally finding a way around the broken USB connector (and pulled traces), I was able to get it working.

I connected the solar panel and it worked for a day or so on the counter. Once I put it outside, the wifi stopped working. I brought it back inside and I can’t get it back up and running. Overall, I’ve been messing with it for several days.

I’ve tried factory reset, DHCP, serial config, hardcoded IP in the source, v 0.86 beta, v 0.85, wifly rescue, wifly update.

Also, the ftp command is missing, so I’m concerned about being able to update the firmware on the wifly adapter. It looks like 4.11 is the latest firmware, while this one is running 4.0

<WEB_APP-1.06> ftp update
ERR: ?-Cmd

<WEB_APP-1.06> ls
FL# SIZ FLAGS
2 86328 23 wifly-GSX-400
4 74920 3 web_app-GSX-106
7 46632 3 wps_app-GSX-131
9 66240 3 eap_app-GSX-101
11 37282 0 web_config.html
21 512 0 link.html
22 7268 0 logo.png
24 -1 10 config

169 Free, Boot=2, Backup=2

<WEB_APP-1.06> get e
WiFly WebConfig v1.06 Apr 19 2013 11:48:44 on RN-131
OPEN=OPEN
CLOSE=CLOS
REMOTE=HELLO
FlushSize=1420
MatchChar=0
FlushTimer=5
IdleTimer=0
CmdChar=$
IF=UP
DHCP=ON
IP=0.0.0.0:2000
NM=255.255.255.0
GW=0.0.0.0
HOST=0.0.0.0:2000
PROTO=TCP,TCP_CLIENT,
MTU=1524
FLAGS=0x7
TCPMODE=0x0
BACKUP=0.0.0.0
DNS=0.0.0.0
Name=dns1
Backup=rn.microchip.com
Lease=86400
FTP=0.0.0.0:21
File=wifly-GSX.img
User=roving
Pass=Pass123
Dir=public
Timeout=200
FTP_mode=0x0
SSID=Nunya
Chan=0
ExtAnt=0
Join=1
Auth=WPA2
Mask=0x1fff
Rate=12, 24 Mb
Linkmon-Infra=30
Linkmon-AP=3600
Passphrase=Business
SleepTmr=0
WakeTmr=0
Trigger=0x1
Autoconn=0
IoFunc=0x0
IoMask=0x20f0
IoValu=0x0
DebugReg=0x0
PrintLvl=0x1
TimeEna=0
TIMEADR=64.90.182.55:123
Zone=7
Baudrate=9600
Flow=0x0
Mode=0x0
Cmd_GPIO=0
JoinTmr=1000
Replace=0x24
DeviceId=SCK_af
Password=
Format=0x0
Signal=0
Average=5
BCAST=255.255.255.255:55555
Interval=0x7
Sensor=0x0
SensePwr=0x0

More info…
Originally, I was concerned that something was blown in the wifi module due to overvoltage. However, I’m able to scan and find networks w/o issue and I am able to configure and talk to it over wifi it via webconfig ( http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/50002230A.pdf page 53 ). Instead of connecting to http://config in the document, I connected to http://1.2.3.4

it looks like the guys are on holiday, no reaction at all, also no reaction to mails i sent :frowning: not good service!

Hi guys. We are not on holiday. We have found the problem and we are trying to find the best solution for it. We have been working on this for the last week. A solution will be posted as soon as we have it completely ready. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. All the best. :slight_smile:

Can you at least give us a clue? This is a very expensive beta product for me.

Same issue. After temporarily solving the infamous broken USB port issue the SCK just stopped posting data after about 16 hours.

edit: Nevermind. Different issue unrelated to solar panels. Although I would like to run it off solar if this is ever fixed since it’s desert here.

Well, there’s always Netatmo, AND…

It works.

Hello all, we are fixing major bugs on firmware and platform which will fix most of your problems in relation with connectivity and registration of the kits. The product is not only the kit, but the complete ecosystem of the project, which is up and running, and is totally alive. If you want to buy a closed product go ahead, use it and waste it after is obsolete. The Smart Citizen website is being refurbished, the app is being designed to be launched in the next 2 months, and the kits is extendable, hackable, fixable and adaptable to any needs. When you support a project like this you are getting all of that, it only takes more time, since we don’t use the money to run an office or a secretary, it is really used to get 7 people thinking about solutions and fixes to make it better. Understand the frustration, but this is just the beginning and we will give you a lot of happiness in the coming months. All your feedback makes Smart Citizen better, which is our only concern, and we accept all the critics right now, and take them as a challenge. Apologies for the possible frustration, very good news will come in a couple days. And they will keep coming during the upcoming months.

give us the beta firmware where the fix for Wifly is in , so we can test
it does not work right for al of us so better to give the beta firmware now please!!

Some instructions for updating the WiFly module at the very least…